Monday, October 27, 2008

"Can I Leave?"

I had quite the interesting experience as a patron quietly approached me. She had just been given her new library card and she had used it to get onto the internet.
She came to me after and asked, "Is it okay if I leave now? I didn't check anything out."
It took me a second to follow her logic. What I finally figured out was that she thought that she couldn't leave the library without at least checking one item out. I almost said "no, you need to check something out," but I refrained and explained to her as simply as I could that using her card was completely optional.
If only all of our patrons thought that you had to check something out everytime you came to the library. We'd have a lot more books coming in and out, and I'd have a lot more job security. ;)

1 comment:

Fulkerson Clan said...

that's a good one davie!! lol! i once had someone return their library card to me after they signed up for it that same day (nope, wasn't a guest card, it was a card of their very own). guess he thought he could only use it once or that it was recyclable?